- NCAA unanimous first-team All-American in 1952 and consensus second-team All-American in 1951
- All-American Recognition: 1951 (Converse 1st Team, Associated Press 2nd Team, National Association of Basketball Coaches 2nd Team, UP2) and 1952 (Associated Press 1st Team, Converse 1st Team, National Association of Basketball Coaches 1st Team, UP1)
- Ranked among the nation's leading scorers in 1951 (5th) and 1952 (2nd)
- Finished 2nd in the nation in assists with 7.6 per game in 1952
- Ranked 23rd in the nation in free-throw percentage in 1951
- Did not play in NCAA Tournament or NIT
- Appeared in College World Series in 1952
- Selected by the Fort Wayne Pistons in 1952 NBA draft
- Eight-time All-Star shortstop hit .286 in 1,929 games in 14 seasons (1952 and 1955 through 1967) with the Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants.
- NOTE: Groat was suspended from school for a semester during his sophomore season because of an academic violation.